How Toxicity Affects the Skin
Common Causes of Skin Conditions:
· Toxins: bacteria, parasites, viruses, mold, metals
· Yeast or fungus (Candida)
· Impaired immune system
· Gut microbiome imbalance
· Allergens or irritants
· Hormone imbalances
· Slow Drainage or poor organ function
It’s no secret that your skin is your largest detox organ and as a result, skin rashes often stem from detoxification. Toxins, bacteria, parasites, mold, and metals can block the detoxification systems, which in turn disrupt proper organ function and elimination, leading to things like mast cell activation, histamine release, inflammation, immune disruptions, bacterial overgrowth, and imbalance of gut flora. Many of these were significant for me as well when I was dealing with Breast Implant Illness.
The disruption of elimination through the bowels, liver, lymph, kidneys, and lungs causes toxins to begin to detox from the skin. The image below illustrates this.
Signs & Symptoms of disruption of elimination:
· Acne – pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, cysts, nodules
· Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema) – dry, scaly, itchy rash, white/red
· Perioral Dermatitis – red, inflamed, around nose and mouth
· Psoriasis – scaly, silvery, sharply defined skin patches
· Hives – raised, red, itchy areas, mildly painful to the touch
· Rosacea – swelling, red bumps, prominent blood vessels, pimples
· Fungal infections – reddish, itchy, scaly rash
· Cold sore (viral) – red, painful, fluid-filled blister near mouth/lip
· Keratosis pilaris – patchy, bumpy, slightly red, rough
· Shingles (viral) – red, blistered rash
· Contact Dermatitis (Ring Worm, allergens/irritants) – red, scaly rash
Gut microbial imbalance often leads to acne, therefore a healthy gut = healthy skin. You can’t have one without the other. An overburdened liver often leads to skin issues. Most of why women break out with acne during their cycle is the excess hormones that the liver cannot remove fast enough; high levels of estrogen also promote Candida infection.
Skin Reactions During Protocols:
Skin reactions during a detox or kill protocol often stem from the release of toxins from killing bugs or busting biofilms, impaired drainage, inflammation, bacterial/fungal overgrowth, immune or hormonal imbalances.
Skin and symptoms from parasites may include persistent acne, eczema, and rashes around the mouth.
Skin and symptoms from mold/yeast/candida overgrowth may include sensitivity, rash, itchiness, burning sensation, flushing, sensitivity to sunlight, peeling, and fungal skin infections.
Signs and symptoms from viruses may include cold sores; shingles may also pop up when treating parasites because they release viruses.
Mast Cell Activation:
Signs and symptoms from mast cells that release histamine may include sweating, flushing, itching, and swelling (mast cells often activated by mold or bartonella).
The Mold, Metal, & Candida Trifecta
Mold and metals can decrease nutrients that help support the phases of liver detoxification that are needed in order to properly eliminate toxins. Candida absorbs heavy metals and mold spores into biofilms for protection. Candida can block lymph/liver drainage and trigger acne, eczema or psoriasis. Whenever candida colonizes out of control, it will trigger basophils (immune cell soldier) to release histamine and create allergic-type reactions and inflammatory skin reactions and conditions.
Helpful Detox Solutions for Skin:
· Enhance bowel, liver, kidney, and lymph support
· Lots of water
· Extra binders
· Coffee enemas
· Change diet (low sugar/low histamine)
· Remove root causes creating imbalances (breast implants are JUST ONE)
· For fungal skin conditions it’s important to reduce inflammation and address fungal overgrowth with targeted supplementation.
As with any chronic condition, it is essential to address mindset and stress in order to completely heal. More on this topic to come in a future post.